Sunday, December 30, 2012

B.O.B.- Moment of clarity

Throughout this unit I think the hardest thing for me to understand was interval notation. I had missed a couple days of school so that didn't really help me at all. So while I was trying to juggle the things that I had missed I was also trying to get a grip on interval notation. Interval notation doesn't seem that hard to understand on the outside, so I didn't understand why I couldn't get a grip on it. For me I think I didn't understand why you had to use brackets and when you had to parentheses. It really confused me and for the longest time on my homework I simply stuck every notation with a bracket. Then a friend of mine was helping me and as she explained to me how the one problem worked it hit me. That when you are including a number you need a bracket and when you don't you place a parentheses.
Another thing I found sort of difficult was knowing when to switch the notation. At first I didn't comprehend what Mr. Jackson was talking about when the notation might change when you divide functions. It did not make much sense to me at all. I just thought that the notation would remain the same for all of the problems. It had me constantly worried for the test because I thought if those kind of questions are on the test I am sure  to be doomed.  Then as I began looking at the answer to the notation I began to understand when I needed to change the notation. It was like a click in my mind. I finally understood interval notation and even began to really enjoy doing problems doing interval notation. For me that was the hardest thing to learn for this unit.

Thu

1 comment:

  1. When you say "switch notation," do you mean switch from inequality notation to interval notation? Keep working with this throughout the trimester. If you need extra help, please stop in before or after school and we can discuss this more!

    ReplyDelete