Thursday, March 7, 2013

B.O.B.- Progress

I've worked with exponential but, not so much logs. The first time I even heard of a log in math form was in my chemistry class. I didn't really get what a log was for or what it did in chemistry. Luckily, we only worked on logs in chemistry class for less than a week. Learning about logs in functions, I felt that I got a better understanding of what logs are. I also found the changing of bases hard at the beginning, but after looking at a couple problems I understood what was supposed to go on top and what was supposed to go on the bottom. I didn't feel that this unit was either hard or easy, but just right in the middle. So far, I don't have many issues with this unit my only question is that how do we does this problem relate in the real world? Just a curious question.


Thu

1 comment:

  1. Great question! Like you said, it's used in Chemistry with pH, but it can also be used to measure sound in decibels. The intensity of the sound can be found with a logarithmic equation. Some jobs that use logarithms are chemists, engineers, coroners (they solve Newton's Law of Cooling to find when a person died). I could go on and on! Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete